At Clowns we recognise that we have a responsibility toward the environment as our existence, as a nursery, is not solitary. We are part of a bigger system of people, values, other organisations and nature, and accept that we have a social and environmental responsibility, as an organisation/business, to give back to the world just as it gives to us.
We are committed to promoting human rights, helping our local community and protecting our natural environment. We also believe it is important to provide the children in our care with the opportunity to develop an age-appropriate awareness of these responsibilities, encouraging them to become proactive and caring members of their local community and the world as a whole.
As a nursery we:
- recycle. The recycling bags are evident throughout the nursery – from the baby room right through to the administration offices. Children are encouraged to use the recycling bags as a part of everyday practise.
- Introduce the ideas of social and environmental responsibility through the medium of stories. We are always open to suggestions of story books that further enhance, illustrate and engage the children in this area.
- Choosing to begin to take part in global initiatives such as:
- World Water Day: Monday 22 March. The focus throughout the nursery will be to make sure we are extra vigilant in how we use the water and turning the taps off.
- Earth Hour: Friday 27th March 2020. The nursery is committed to “turning off” between 12:30pm and 1:30pm.
- Earth Day: Wednesday 22nd April 2020. During the Easter closure period all the staff, parents and children will be challenged to partake in an activity that benefits the earth. For example, tree planting, walking or taking public transport instead of driving or taking a taxi; recycling and repurposing something; making natural birdfeeders (no plastic or new wood to be used) etc. On Wednesday 22nd April we will be asking everyone to bring in evidence (photograph, poster, certificate etc) of their activity. These will be proudly displayed throughout the nursery! More information will be sent out to everyone before the Easter holiday.
- Walk to School Week: Monday 18th – Friday 22nd May 2020.
- World Environment Day: Friday 5th June 2020
As a nursery we:
- celebrate the diversity of the families and staff within the nursery – learning about and taking part in festivals and celebrations from different cultures around the world.
- are passionate about giving back to our community. Every term we hold fundraising events and donate 100% of all proceeds to charity. The children are
- are beginning to choose to make small changes and engage with global initiatives such as:
- Fair Trade Day: Friday 8th May 2020. Leading up to World Fair Trade Day we will trace the “footsteps” of a banana from grower to supermarket. The children in the older children will be introduced to the idea of paying the farmer a fair market price so that he, in turn, can feed himself, send his children to school, buy food etc.
- Make A Difference Day: Monday 26th October 2020
- United Nations International Children’s Day: Friday 20th November 2020
- Giving Thursday: Thursday 3rd December2020. We will be asking each child who attends Clowns to donate a book. All books collected will be given to that we can give to a Children’s hospice or charity.
- International Mother Language Day: Monday 22nd February 2021
As some of the initiatives take place on weekend we have changed the dates to allow ourselves to engage with the initiatives as a nursery. Clowns parents will receive more information regarding our participation in each global initiative as it approaches.
As a nursery we are always open to ideas and suggestions of ways to continue to make a positive impact in the world in which we live. If you are an existing parent and have any ideas please contact the Environmental and Social Responsibility Officer by emailing email@example.com